Off Topic Off Topic /

Petrol charges when travelling to clients.

Page:  1  2  »» 

CK Make-up Cicilia

MB#
#1 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 13:40
When you travel to a client what do you charge for petrol? Do you go according to the AA rates or do you just charge x amount per kilometre?

Thanks

Belle

MB#
#2 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 13:50
In our company when we travel more than 50km from our office, we add 10% to our quoted price. I don't know if this is right or wrong, but I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

Dino

MB#1118
PHOTOGRAPHER
#3 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 13:57
AA rates, which are calculated at cost per Km.

Adele

MB#1267
MODEL
#4 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:25
Thanks for this thread Cicilia............had a situation regarding this yesterday.

CK Make-up Cicilia

MB#
#5 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:28
I find that when you go according to the AA calculator petrol works out really expensive and clients are reluctent to book you especially when others offer the same service as you do charge R1 or R1.50 per km. However petrol keeps increasing?

Adele

MB#1267
MODEL
#6 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:31
Not just that - you also have to charge for the wear and tear on your vehicle.

CK Make-up Cicilia

MB#
#7 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:39
That's where the AA rates come in but as I say it works out so expensive. I would really appreciate any help or suggestions on this. I get inquiries to do make-up from all over and some one wants me to go to East London the petrol will be more than the make-up :o) I suggested someone closer but she is not interested.

MBPhotography

MB#705
PHOTOGRAPHER
#8 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:51 | Edited by: MBPhotography
I have no problem in models charging AA rates However one should bear in mind what the shoot is for. Is it payed work or TFCD.
If time for CD and both parties should benefit from it in terms of photos so surely the travel costs should also be considered in the equation,
I am also curios to know what is the right thing to do pay AA rates or reduced rate?
Its sad in away because we that are stuck in Durban/Pmb will never have the opportunities that the gauteng togs have ito variety of models without costing an arm and a leg, Having said that I have once flown a model with Kulula and work out much cheaper than AA rates.

CK Make-up Cicilia

MB#
#9 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 14:57
This is not for shoots but for when I travel to venues to do the brides make-up.

Generally in and around JHB I charge R100 and R150 when I go to Pretoria. I charged R200 to Warmbath the other day, not enough I know.

Adele

MB#1267
MODEL
#10 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:07
Unfortunately with petrol prices these days you have to decide whether you really want what the model can bring or not....regardless of the fact that it is tfcd or paid.

Another option is also to contact the model and make an offer where costs are concerned.

Dino

MB#1118
PHOTOGRAPHER
#11 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:10
Remember, AA rates look expensive but it takes into account vehicle wear and tear as well.
Even if it's just a guidline, I find the AA rates best to work with.

Evelyn

MB#1103
MODEL
#12 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:29
I perfectly understand your concern. We suffer in the same way because of the high prices, whether you are the service provider or the client.

Personally the AA works for me, anybody tells me they cover costs, then that is the cost, I will only re-consider if the client pays an extremely good rate or if the offer is really something spectacular.

I have found most companies and service providers work on AA recommended rates. Living in H/s I have to get people from outside for certain services, such as lighting, examiners, etc.. Very often I end up turning suppliers down due to the astromical traveling costs (and yes the same happens to me).

Just for interest but maybe it will help you: SARS allows you to claim about R2.90 per km. Some larger companies still pay employees around R2.50 to R2.80 per km travelled with their own vehicles.

Although AA is expensive atleast it's realistic. Its' what it costs you to have a car and everytime you use it. Those who are charging less are simply screwing themselves, I think they haven't been keeping up with our current prices of fuel and very few people know what the actual cost of their vehicles are.

CK Make-up Cicilia

MB#
#13 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:36
Thank you :o)

Evelyn

MB#1103
MODEL
#14 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:48
Unfortunately with petrol prices these days you have to decide whether you really want what the model can bring or not....regardless of the fact that it is tfcd or paid.

Another option is also to contact the model and make an offer where costs are concerned.

I totally agree here. Also once again, it's the travelling costs that's charged for, not the actual shoot. The time for the shoot is still free.

Narciscus Studio

MB#
#15 | Posted: 6 Mar 2008 15:51

Evelyn traveled down to me in DBN by car, for a shoot ... now thats commitment :)
 Page:  1  2  »» 
This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.